I was thinking about doing a bit of a cheat on Friday, then wised up and made these. They’re a little more pliable than standard tortilla chips, but definitely strong enough to dip into guac, salsa, etc.
Serves 3-4 and yields about 50 chips suitable for dipping.
- 2 cups shredded cheese (8 oz bag)
- 1 cup of pork rinds (3 oz bag)
- 1 ounce of cream cheese (2 tbsp)
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of chili powder
- 1 gallon-sized Ziploc bag
- 1 microwavable mixing bowl
- 1 cookie sheet
- 1 rolling pin
- 1 cutting board
- 2, 15″ x 15″ pre-cut sheets of parchment paper (or larger)
- 1 Pyrex measuring cup
- 1 pizza cutter
- 1 fork
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Pour pork rinds into gallon Ziploc bag. Remove excess air and seal bag.
- Use rolling pin and all your pent up aggression to grind pork rinds down to fine flour.
- Mix pork rind flour and shredded cheese in microwaveable bowl. Add cream cheese. Microwave on high for 1 minute to create a thick dough.
- Add raw egg, salt, and chili powder. Knead into dough with bare hands.
- Lay dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll into chip-thin layer.
- Remove the top piece of parchment paper, slide the remaining sheet of parchment paper & dough onto cookie sheet. Bake at 425F for 12 minutes, or until browned on top.
- Remove from oven and cut into chip-like triangle shapes with pizza cutter.
- Bake again at 425F for 5 minutes to achieve extra crispiness.
- Serve hot or let them rest at room temperature to crisp up further.
- Pork rinds are typically in the chip aisle of the store and are sometimes called _Chicharrones. _Any bag 2 ounces or larger should work.
- Any shredded cheese (aside from parm maybe), cream cheese, eggs, salt, and chili powder is fine.
Credit for this keto cheesy chips recipe goes to Libby at Ditch The Carbs who makes a similar version w/ almond flour and more seasonings.